Someone asked: "Well how does it feel to finally be able to relax, now that you know when you're going to get Lovely?" I have to smile. They mean well, and I'm certainly not offended. So many of you have followed our story, prayed for us, walked with us through these two years of paperwork, and seemingly endless waiting. How could I be offended by someone celebrating the final piece of news we've been waiting for here on our side of the ocean? No, I'm not upset, but I'm also not anywhere near "relaxed". Stunned, ecstatic, expectant, thrilled, anxious, impatient, these adjectives all fit at different times during each day. I'm longing for the time when I'll relax; when all the adjectives are positive.
Here's the picture:
In each international airport, there's an area where people coming in from out of the country line up (picture Disneyland style long, winding lines)and wait to go through customs. Near that line area is usually a sign that says: "Welcome to the United States". I see Shelly and me handing our camera to someone, some kind-looking, willing-looking, stranger and tearfully, politely asking them to take a picture of us and Lovely standing together in front of that sign. Evidence that Lovely, Shelly, and I are all together in the United States: Maybe then I can "relax". I believe I'll be able to, but I know that at that point I'll be smiling and crying and finally taking a breath. I also know that I'll relax a little more when the three of us get through customs, breathe a little deeper when we reach the hotel near the airport and post the picture I just mentioned here on the blog from our iPod. My shoulders and neck will become a little less tense as we board the plane from Miami and my heart will believe it's real little-by-little as e move closer and closer to Oregon.I'm longing for the time when we arrive home, put her to bed in HER bed, in OUR house, and stand with wonder over the miracle of finally having her here with us. With each day that passes, I'll become less suspicious that it's just a dream. I think then I can relax, breathe a heavy sigh of relief, and bask in the wonder of what God has done. That's the picture I'm waiting for.
Jim
Know that I am still praying daily for peace, strength, and God's total provision in this final step. I cannot wait to see pictures of you all home as a family!
ReplyDeleteOh, what a day that will be! I could easily imagine myself in your shoes! Such a thrilling time! Can't wait to get that update that she is asleep in her bed at home.
ReplyDelete