Friday, March 2, 2012

SURPRISE: The Rest of the Story!



IT'S TWINS!
You all have been waiting so patiently for this "rest of the story" blog, so here it is:
I am not sure how to write this post. I have thought over it, prayed over it, dreamed of sharing it, and cried over it, but I still come here not knowing what to write. In writing this story, we so desire for all of the glory and credit to go to my great God. I pray that His fame is renowned, and that Jim and I, and even our precious children, would fade into the background. We are just supporting characters in this story – the starring role was long ago reserved for my God, and I hold it loosely knowing who really holds the pen. I could never fully tell all that God has done to orchestrate the making of our family. There is no way that my finite mind can begin to even comprehend, in order to tell, the supernatural way that God joined our family together through this amazing, wonderful, painful, beautiful, humbling journey of adoption.
Please know that this is only part of Micah's story, it IS his story and this is the part we feel free to share........the rest is his to tell one day if he so chooses.
I guess I really need to back up a little. When we first sent our paperwork to Haiti to adopt we had been told it was “best” to be open to siblings, perhaps even twins and so while that was not what we had orginally thought, the truth was adopting again at this time in our life was also not what we orginally thought we would be doing! So, we filled out our paperwork prepared for two referrals and watched while many of the other families adopting were getting referrals of two children, and our phone call came with Lovely's referral. We were BEYOND thrilled with that phone call, but in the back of our minds wondered if another call would be coming as well. It did not, and well, it turns out that there was a reason why we were not going to be bringing two babies home from Haiti.
You see, this whole time a Baby was already in our home!
A baby that came to us at two days old and just barely 4lbs and many,many needs of his own. Those of you who know us or have been reading this blog know that while we have adopted children we are also a state medically fragile foster family and usually take babies straight from the hospital with some level of medical needs. We have loved each child that has come to us in this way while knowing they were “Not our children!” We loved and cared for this little baby through many,many Doctors appt's, hospital stays, all the while knowing this was not our child but a child that needed us for this time until his parents were ready for him to come home to them.
Well. last Spring while we were in the middle of our LONG wait for Lovely's paperwork to be approved and Micah was dealing with some of his biggest health issues God “dropped a surprise in our laps!” Micah's bio-parents with the approval from our state stopped me one day when I was dropping Micah off for a visit with them and asked me “do you think Micah could just stay with you? Could he be your son AND we and his baby sister still stay in his life?!” They went on to say “we know he would not be alive if he had not come to live with you and been given the love and care you gave him, and we do not want that to stop now.” Now, I ask you: WHAT do you do with a request such as this???? Besides cry your eyes out! And, with that within 2 weeks from that conversation they both stood before a judge and said that they wanted Micah to stay with us and be our son, and later that same day asked us to begin having him call us Mommy and Daddy rather than Shelly and Jimmy, and call them Auntie and Uncle!
I have to tell you, our minds and hearts were and still are basically in a blur! We cried, we asked questions of each other and God, we laughed, we talked to Elijah, we said “how can we at our “ripe” age have 2 year old “twins” one coming out of such a traumitized background, and one with perhaps lifetime serious healthcare needs? And then, we opened our mouths and out came the word the Father prompted us to say:“Yes”. Yes Jesus if this is what you have for us we will say “Yes.”
Now, at almost a whole year later I have to tell you it is NOT a done deal yet! We thought it would be final by now and perhaps even finalize at the same time we went to court with Lovely. BUT, even here in the good 'ol USA there can be hold-ups and delays and that is where we are now. So, it appears that we will be parenting two 2 years olds and an 11 year old AND an adult son and his family......
BUT, it is still in God's hands as to if this is what HE intends to happen.
We believe we will know the final answer very soon, but for now, we will continue to love and parent ALL the children in our home and again WAIT (that word we have come to “love” so much these last 2 years!) and watch our email and listen for the phone to ring to know how the rest of this story will play out!
Thanks for hanging on with us on this wild ride!
Shell......postscript below!!!!!!

WELL, if you have read all the way to this part you are in for even more of the rest of the story! This post was actually written in November when we were told we were "almost" done and should hear any day that Micah's adoption was ready to go to court and be final,BUT we felt we needed to wait until this phone call I will tell you about below came and, Well, you have a calendar and know that it is now April and almost Easter and that just did not happen.....sounds like Haitian adoption again huh?!
BUT we did FINALLY almost a year after starting this adoption story get the call we had been waiting for just last week on the anniversary of Dannielle's Goodbye Day! (just like we got the call that Lovely had a Passport on the anniversary of Johanna's Goodbye Day---WOW God, Wow!) That call was to tell us that it is final in that we ARE the Adoptive Placement and within the next few weeks after one final contract between us and the state is negotiated and signed we will be given a court date, go to court and in front of the judge have Micah legally become our SON!
WOW!!! 2/3 year old toddler twins at our age!!!! God sure keeps us flexible and on our toes that is for sure, for sure!
You can believe that the moment that court date is set we will let you know, and a full family picture will be soon to come after!
Hanging on tight on this adventure God has us on!
Shelly and Jim

4 comments:

  1. Who needs sleep I guess?! How faithful you must be to be trusted with so much. Love you guys and still hope to meet up in person one of these crazy, whoever would've guessed but God knew, kind of days. Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly.... PRAISE GOD from whom all good blessings flow!!!!!! I am smiling ear to ear and if I wouldn't wake up the house I'd be hollering THANK-YOU Jesus!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our God is so good. And works in such mysterious ways. I'm so glad you are almost to the end of the waiting part of this journey. At least this part of it. Praise God for redeeming both goodbye days for you. I know this story isn't over. I'm glad to be a part of your lives and be able to watch what God has in store for each of your future's. I'm always praying. It is so great to see the answers to prayer as the days go by.

    ReplyDelete