


>
All our children are adotped, and both my first girls ended up having severe health issues. My oldest daughter Dannielle was adopted at birth and by age 5 had:Diabetes, Epilepsy, and asthma which was a horrible combination!!! She lived to be 21 and was an amazing young woman who had gone to Turkey with YWAM,loved life to the fullest and was in college to be a social worker at Concordia in Portland with her Dad. She was living across the street from us in the dorms, doing great and we went away for one night and while we were gone she slept at our house and had a massive seizure in her sleep that stopped her heart--that was 5 years ago. :-( Our youngest daughter came to us at 10 months old from Haiti (at 8 months when she came out of the country she weighed only 4 lbs!!!) She had Spinal Meningitis while still in Haiti and all involved thought she was going to be ok, but she ended up having CP, severe seizures (worked up to over 200 a day before she passed) Hydrocephalus, and was Developmentally Delayed and could only use one side of her body. She was an amazing, joyful, light of our lives little girl!!! She endured surgery after surgery all the way up to us going to the Mayo clinic to have half her brain removed which gave her 1 amazing year without seizures where she learned to walk, and talk a few words, and it was just a gift! Then, at the year mark----the seizures came back with a fury (she a drop seizures that would literlly throw her on to the floor face first) and she began to have 100's a day, and then they told us there was nothing more they could do and to take her home and love on her......she lived 2 more months and went to live with Jesus at 5 years old 11 years ago this Tues Jan 18th.Phew-so, that's a little piece of our story.............makes us who we are that's for sure! Thanks for asking!! Shelly
I am glad to hear more about you, thank you for sharing your story. God gives us all these things to mold us for His work. I have learned that after adopting 6 children from foster care who have a range of issues, including severe drug affects. I am anxiously waiting to hear when your new little one arrives in your home!
ReplyDeleteI didn't expect it to happen, but reading this got me all choked up as I remembered sweet Johanna.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Shelly. I had heard bits and pieces but never the whole (this much) story before. I used to teach "special" children and loved them and their gifts to us. Know that was hard to relate and live through yet again, so thanks from the bottom of my heart. Helps to know how and what to pray - you know. Love you and what you do. Diana
ReplyDeleteShelly, thank-you! Love Wendy
ReplyDeleteWow, what a story....so sad but at the same time there is so much love poured out between the lines that it is encouraging to me. Just talking with you and Jim I see that you are "different" and I think it's because you have grieved much. I believe that grief, especially with the hope of Jesus Christ, makes us better people, more loving, more compassionate. I'm glad that I know your story, and thank you so much for pouring it out.
ReplyDeleteLorie Neighbors