So, I feel like the blogger who is gonna get her hands slapped since it has been sooooooo long since we updated this!
Well, I gotta tell ya: having 2-3 year old "instant twins" is well. Uh.......ALL CONSUMING!!!!! And, as Dr Phil says "this ain't my first rodeo!" and it's still ALL CONSUMING!!!!!
Tomorrow will be 7 WEEKS HOME!!!! Oh my goodness that is hard to believe! In those 7 weeks we have had: Lovely's 3rd Birthday complete with a full Haitian dinner (I surprised myself at how well they said it turned out :-), long hikes in our backyard forest, longer hikes in the fort don the street, too many doctor appts, blood tests, stool samples, and shots and perscriptions to count :-(, Spring Break at the Beach House with Monica (big Sis) Joslynn and Marquis, discovered they joy of Library story time and Playgym! Learned to love apples, grapes, pears, and try raw carrots and cucumbers and not spit them out, the transition from complete meltdown when even seeing Elijah's dog Muffy to being able to "somewhat coexist" with her and be in the same room with her and not ALWAYS scream at the top of her lungs! Learned to ADORE BATHTIME and cry taken out of the water instead of when taken out :-). Colored Easter eggs for the first time and dug into an Easter basket still not sure what it was all about,.,,.but loving the candy.
The transition has been and quite frankly still is hard with a Capitol H! I will not go into a lot of details on that tonight but am trying to compose a blog in my head of what it has/does really look like daily for those who are adopting......but, will wait on that for now. Suffice it to say: throwing 2 toddlers who both have some pretty serious issues (and one who is severely traumatized and is working on healthy safe ways to express that) telling them "brother, sister......ok, go" is as hard as it sounds and then some. Our days include on a regular basis: biting, hitting,kicking, pinching, rages that can last for over 30-45 minutes, and a whole LOT of screaming ( and it's not usually me screaming ;-) and within arms reach and in eyesight supervision at all times.......pretty darn exhausting! For being "seasoned parents" (19 kids now have come through our home!!!!) and even very experienced and lots of training with traumatized, in great transition kiddos......this has still topped them all and ,any days has just flat out "kicked out butts!" (in case you are adopting and wondering...........we visiited Lovely 4 times during our 25 month wait and NONE of this behavior was apparent in any of those visits, or during the first days home......so, it pretty much blew us away when it started)
Will we get through this time.....you betcha!!! Do we need your prayers still.....YOU BETCHA!!!!!! God can heal these little hearts and protect and strengthen the heart of the big brother who is oh so tolerant but is also growing weary. Someone said to me recently "I'm so happy the transition is going so well, the pictures all look so happy!" To which I finally after hearing this so many times said "you know, we parents don't
Normally post the crying,screaming, raging pictures....we post the smiling, getting along pictures!" The person did not respond,,,,oops!
So, if I have not blogged.......this helps you understand why :-). Will get more pictures on here soon, in the middle of the chaos our computer also crashed-boo.
Thanks for supporting us, loving us, and most of all PRAYIING FOR US STILL!!!!!!
So, I guess the blog I was tossing around In my head for those adopting just kinda got added here after all! It is extremely scary putting yourself out there and speaking your truth and reality, being vulnerable, and wondering "oh my, what are people going to think of me'" and knowing many will most likely think "that won't happen to us" or "they must not have been prepared or knowledgable on the subject" or whatever and I guess I covered that with the reminder that we have adopted 6 times now, and been a medical foster home for 5 years now, had 19 kiddos with all level of need medically and emotionally come through our home and this is still by far at the top of the list of most challenging. We ADORE OUR DAUGHTER!!!!!!! And TOTALLY KNOW JESUS IS HEALING HER HEART and redeeming her little spirit right now!!!! Just felt with so many adopting parents reading our blog it was really important to be brutally honest with how it can look like "after the Homecoming"
If I offended any.....I sure did not mean to!! If I scared any..... Maybe that is not such a bad thing to help you in the process of preparing yourself. Your spouse, and your other children----especially if they are very close to the same age as the child you are bringing home! Maybe you will know delete me from your blog list. And I guess I can live with that more than living with not really being honest about how it is "really going".
Ok , think that is more than enough for tonigh and I hear quiet from the twins so I am going to rest too!!!
We love you all and appreciate you sooooooo much!!!!!
Shelly
Shelly! Your honesty is amazing and appreciated for sure! You hang in there and let me know what you need! I would love to be able to help you somehow. Whatever you need!! You should also know we pray for you CONSTANTLY!!
ReplyDeleteNo way you could offend! Honesty is respectable and appreciated! And don't I know how honest you are being! ;-) Funny, I had a moment today when I was thinking during L's 45-min. crying, that J used to have a lot of the same issues as he - rage, destruction, defiance. And now, 9 yrs. later, she is a well-adjusted kid and quite amazing. Gives me hope! And maybe you too! Though I know you've seen evidence of the healing before. Rock on, Mama!
ReplyDeleteThanx both Amy's :-) and Amy B.......that gives me such hope!!!! Thanx for that!!! We will really have to talk in person one day but for now knowing you too "get it" helps more then you can know!!!!!
DeleteThis is a good reminder that we should'nt let up on our prayers for your family. No offense. Appreciate your honesty and sharing of your heart. We love you!
ReplyDeleteIn Christ,
Korri
It is exciting to realize she feels safe enough to show you her "unlovely" side. I will continue to pray that God heals her and keeps you going while that is happening. She is a beautiful little girl and is blessed you took her home with you!!
ReplyDeleteShelly, thank you once again for telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth! It's so important to know what to expect and not get blindsided. Thanks again for "putting yourself out there".
ReplyDeleteShelly-
ReplyDeleteThank you for your honesty and frankness. We need to hear it and know what we can expect. It is not all flowers and rainbows and being prepared, knowing what other adoptive parents are going through, is such a help!
Thank you!
-Kate
I hear what you are saying. The screaming was sooooo hard. It is much better now after 2 years and I have hope it will continue to get even better. Thinking of you and praying.
ReplyDeleteMegan
I really appreciate all the kind words and support! Thanx so much for still standing in the gap for us!
ReplyDeleteShelly
I appreciate the reality. Thank you for sharing even though it scares me to death anticipating the transition.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your honesty as well, Shelly! I know that was hard for you to write. I think there is a huge problem in our online adoption community - most people don't tell the truth about real life after the child comes home. And I understand it in part - you want to protect the privacy of your child, but I wonder if the real reason is often not wanting people to think exactly what you gave voice to. Wondering if you will be judged. Wonder if people will think you wished you hadn't gone through with this (when you really love YOUR child so much!). More people need to know what the possible reality is after you come home, because if they don't, they will wonder if they really aren't the right parents for this child, and why doesn't anyone else go through this? Thanks again for posting, and I hope and pray her heart heals quickly.
ReplyDelete